Monday, March 15, 2010

Peace out, comfort.

When I was younger, I was terrified of...well...almost everything. Sleepovers, making phone calls, ordering at Taco Bell, lakes, sharks (valid to a degree...but I even got stomach cramps when playing 'Ecco the Dolphin' on Sega Genesis...) and running in public. Looking back, I recognize that my anxiety was a bit off the charts. Thankfully, writing and playing music prevented me from becoming a total nutcase. There is also the added benefit of blaming any residual quirks on being "artistic." High five.

Today, I am happy to report that I can sleep in strange places, talk on the phone repeatedly, look at a shark without puking, and even order at Taco Bell (blech.) Beyond tackling these neurotic/irrational fears, I've also found that the best experiences usually lie just beyond my comfort zone. Now, I've been working out pretty consistently, but it's been mostly on the blissful low-impact elliptical. Today is the first day that I really faced my old nemesis Running. I was not graceful or comfortable...in fact, I had a few side cramps and I kind of felt like I was going to die on a couple of the running intervals. *But* it felt so good to know that it was my first 4 miles of something I used to think was impossible.

M I S S I O N *A C C O M P L I S H E D

(more to come.)

No comments:

Post a Comment