Thursday, January 6, 2011

what the what?!


Meet Lacey. 


She is 18. She is my cellist/little sister. There's no nepotism involved here, though, folks. She is an arranger and player who possesses mad skills. The parts she comes up with tend to blow my mind. 

Photos: Russ Dixon

(...but that's not why I want you to meet her.) 


Something pretty amazing happened a few weeks ago. Lacey wrote her first song. In other news: I forced her to record it. (And not just because I'm a proud sister.) She had been wanting a ukulele for years and this Christmas* she got it. She was working 4 part-time jobs that week, but the fleeting moments of her free time were spent crafting this song. When she played it for me, I couldn't help noticing that even though she plays the guitar, cello, violin and piano, she never felt inspired to write a song on these instruments. Part of her knew there would be something magical about a ukulele. She was right. It plugged her into the flow of her creativity. This song poured out of her the minute she had the tool she knew she needed. 

And it's pretty freaking awesome, too.





*Ok, technically it was "Early Christmas" on Thanksgiving. All of the siblings were in town at the same time. We really love presents.  

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! Seeing Lacey in action, so comfortable with the uke, was magic. Hana hou!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great song! Will it be available via iTunes any time soon! Miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phase II of Project Rad Lacey is getting her to record an acoustic version and getting it on iTunes. I have to figure out how to kidnap her from BYUI or wait until this summer, though (which, P.S., is kind of lame.)

    ReplyDelete